Congrats, Barack! Now comes the hard part. Arf-Arf!
Wow! 4000 miles, 15 cities and lots of shelters and pup rallies later, the BARK THE VOTE campaign has come to an end. With record voter turn-out and president Elect Barack Obama talking about adopting a pooch from a shelter for his family, I must humbly admit that the BARK THE VOTE campaign was a resounding success! As you know, our campaign to get out the vote was non-partisan, but I have to say that now that it's over - I'm partial to the name, Barack since us pooches are always "Baracking" out loud. BOL!
Just a few sage (sage?) thoughts from my trip:
1) Thank you President Eisenhower for the Interstate Highway System!
2) Travel with plenty of healthy, yummy treats. Truck stops don't cotton to canines.
3) Always wear a tee shirt playing ball in your hotel room (I have the rash to prove it!).
4) If you want a crappy room, tell the "pet friendly" hotels you're a dog. (Can you bark Best Western!).
5) Always shake paws with mechanics - you never know when you're gonna need one!
6) Happiness is un-leaded under $2.00 a gallon.
7) At most restaurants, it's pretty hard to mess up fajitas.
8) When someone honks, wave! (unless it's a goose).
9) Just like a sad movie, bring some tissues when you visit a shelter.
10) Green rooms are almost never green!
11) As a breed, pitbulls are so mis-understood (Arf-Arf MN Maddie &CO Premier!)
12) When you're a weather-dog, wardrobe is everything!
13) Google maps is better than mapquest.com - whatever that means!
14) Verizon broadband modems ROCK/BARK!
15) Always drink bottled/filtered water.
16) Nothing beats a comfy bed on the road and at the end of the day.
17) My idea of ruffing it is a Holiday Inn Express.
18) Packing for winter and summer in the same trip - bizarro!
19) Thank goodness this only happens once every four years.
20) What a country. I LOVE the USA!
The end is in sight!
Well, that's it. Thanks for coming along for the ride, so to speak/bark. And before I
head back to my hood across the country i NYC, I want to give a high five to everyone who was so kind & helpful and believed in BARK THE VOTE so we could take this tour. This is the fun part - kinda like in the movies where everyone gets a credit. Except it isn't a movie. Whatever.
A big thank you/high five/big lick to . . .
Nature's Variety, Verizon, Davis Weather Equipment, Vetoquinal, NYC Wraps, Hank, Nicole, Chad, Brian, Fred, Reed, Charlie, Kevin, John, Carolyn, Charlotte, Mitch, Brenda, Kate, David, Ralph, Dave, Zach, Nick, Tony, Cynthia, Jerry & Pat, Buzzy, MJ, Mike, Steve, Peter, Scott, Angela, Jan & John, Teri, Sunny, Eileen & Ed, Maggie Bell, Nicki & Bindi, Sara &Victor, Sonia, Emily, Ann and all my other 2 legged and 4 legged friends who were there for me when I could have just stayed home and chased squirrels instead.
Oh yes, one last thing - I promise! Just like Obama and McCain did - I'm gonna ask for your help. Just because the election is over - shelters still desperately need our support. So, if you would, go to www.dogswhocare.com and buy a collar or make a donation to help pets in need. Or go to www.schmittysays.com and buy my 2009 Schmitty's Faux Paws calendar - it's all about socially awkward moments. It's the perfect holiday gift to make your family and friends howl, won't break your wallet (whatever that means) and gives back a portion of the proceeds to help pets in need. There - I've said it and I'm glad!
OK, I'm exhausted. Gotta go nap.
Schmitty, The Real New Yorkie